Here are our staff's picks for the best ski movies:
- Eddie the Eagle (2016). Unlike most ski movies-which are documentary-style, featuring shots of actual skiers hitting the slopes-Eddie the Eagle is a Hollywood film starring Hugh Jackman and Taron Egerton. Based on the true story of the British Olympian of the same name, the film is heartwarming and amusing, and even received a fresh score of 80% on Rotten Tomatoes!
- Warren Miller's Steep and Deep (1985). A legend himself and perhaps the most renowned ski filmmaker of all time, Warren Miller has become a name recognized by skiers and non-skiers alike. As such, no "Best Ski Movie" list would be complete without mention of at least one of his famous films. An oldie but a goodie, Steep and Deep tops our list of Miller's epic films, as the iconic film that marked the beginning of modern extreme skiing and epic ski movies.
- G.N.A.R. Though it might not be what pops into your head when you think about a classic ski movie, G.N.A.R. is a film that is simultaneously hilarious, fun, and authentic. A true look into the heart of skiing and modern ski culture, G.N.A.R. is a feel-good film that is sure to teach you all about the game G.N.A.R. If you don't mind the nude skiers (don't say we didn't warn you) and are looking for a lighthearted ski movie that captures the essence of the sport, G.N.A.R. is perfect for you.
- Streif: One Hell of a Ride (2015). Streif: One Hell of a Ride tells the story of the ski run that serves as the movie's namesake. Located in Austria, it is home to one of the most dangerous and infamous ski courses in the world. The movie displays the challenges faced by the participants, and is a testament to skiing in its most extreme form.
- Lindsey Vonn: The Climb (2015). With the 2018 Winter Olympics coming up next month, there's no better time to watch Lindsey Vonn: The Climb. A story about the struggles and successes of one of skiing's most famous women athletes, The Climb gives a glimpse into the life of an Olympian. Vonn's story is both personal and impressive, and shows the level of perseverance it takes to stay at the top.