22-23 SEASON PASSES ON SALE
**Note: Snowmaking starts before the season and typically ends in January BUT our Snowmakers have the ability to transfer to another department once snow making is completed to finish out the season.
Hourly Wage: $13.50 – $15.00 pending experience
Granite Peak Ski Area is a privately-owned ski hill located in the Heart of Wisconsin. As a primarily winter season facility, located in the Midwest, we count on our snowmaking team to fill in where Mother Nature cannot. The Granite Peak Team is looking for people who can run auto and manual snowmaking systems with a love for the outdoors, a desire to learn, and a commitment to excellent service.
Snowmakers are responsible for the production of snow; as well as the setup, operation, and maintenance of snowmaking equipment. With two shifts that run throughout the day and night, snowmakers have the most important and rewarding job on the hill. Become an expert on the mountain and get a chance to experience the first snows of the season!
- Operate snowmaking equipment for creating manufactured snow from water resources
- Produce quality snow through the use of air, water, and fan equipment
- Constant relocation of guns and hoses to various areas around the mountain
- Adjusting, turning or moving of snow guns, to maintain snowmaking efficiency
- Adjusting the water and or air flow to snow guns
- Changing nozzles on snow guns when necessary to maintain efficiency
- Conduct regular maintenance checks on equipment, including checking water pipes, fluid levels and volume, temperature controls, energy consumption, and diesel fuel systems
- Document and report mechanical/safety issues, complete maintenance logs and checklists
- Perform light maintenance or repairs on equipment
- Shovel snow, remove snow around snowmaking equipment and other areas around the resort as needed
- Maintain all safety barriers, padding, and guards around snowmaking equipment
- Work safely in close proximity to heavy equipment, high voltage, and high-water pressures
- Perform other duties as assigned while waiting for optimum snowmaking weather
- Work closely and as a team with and assist other departments such as Grooming, Ski Patrol, Lift Operations. Terrain Park, Maintenance, etc.
- Test the quality of snow as it is made, reporting findings and conditions to the supervisor
- Drive snowmobiles, trucks and ATVs as necessary
- Work evening and night schedules when optimal temperatures provide for the best snowmaking
- High school diploma, GED or vocational training or job-related course work required
- Valid State Driver’s License
- Basic knowledge of electrical and mechanical equipment is a plus
- The ability to work in adverse weather conditions include wind, snow, and ice
- Good communication skills and ability to accurately follow instructions
- Must be a team player
- Knowledge of basic machinery, including pumps and compressed air
- Ability to operate an ATV and snowmobile safely on rough terrain
- Able to safely lift 50lbs
- Experience with SMI and Areco snow guns is preferred
- Ability to Ski or Snowboard is a plus
Work Environment: This position involves working outside in all weather conditions, including extreme cold, snow, wind and rain, on varied snow surfaces, and requires being on your feet for the majority of the scheduled shift.
Physical and Mental Demands: This position works primarily outside and requires prolonged periods of standing and walking on slippery and/or uneven snow or icy surfaces. Must remain alert and attentive at all times. Must lift up to 50 pounds and be able to twist, turn and drag equipment.
Customer Service Expectations: Customer contact is rare, but must be helpful, friendly, courteous and professional in accordance with Granite Peaks commitment to providing superior customer service
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.