Cross Country Skiing
Located on the other side of the mountain from Granite Peak Ski Area, is Nine Mile Forest, one of the top cross country skiing facilities in the State. Nine Mile Forest features:
- 20 Miles (33 km) of trails including loops from .5 mile to 9.6 miles.
- Well groomed trails accommodate both skaters and diagonal skiers.
- Spacious chalet offers concessions, restrooms, changing facilities and a comfortable lounge area with a wood stove and panoramic views.
- Lighted trails for fantastic nighttime skiing.
- Rental Equipment.
- Nordic Ski Patrol on duty.
The Wausau area also boasts four other excellent cross country trails. Beginners will enjoy classical skiing across gently rolling terrain on the Ringle Trail. The Sylvan Hill/American Legion Trail has a popular in-town location and is serviced by the American Legion Clubhouse and the Sylvan Hill Chalet. Intermediate skiers will enjoy the remote Big Eau Pleine Park Trail, a scenic trail along the Eau Pleine Reservoir, featuring rolling and wooded terrain. The Greenwood Hills Trail is situated on a golf course and provides challenging climbs and exhilarating downhills.
Click here for more information.
Marathon County Map
Nine Mile Trail Map
Nine Mile Area Map