Cross Country Skiing
Located on the other side of the mountain from Granite Peak Ski Area is Nine Mile Forest Recreation Area, one of the top cross country skiing facilities in Wisconsin.
Nine Mile Forest features:
- 20 Miles (33 km) of trails including loops from .5 mile to 9.6 miles.
- Well-groomed trails accommodate both skaters and diagonal skiers.
- Spacious chalet offers concessions, restrooms, changing facilities and a comfortable lounge area with a wood stove and panoramic views.
- Lighted trails for fantastic nighttime skiing.
- Rental Equipment.
- Nordic Ski Patrol on duty.
The Wausau area also boasts four other excellent cross country trails:
Ringle Trail - beginners enjoy classical skiing across gently rolling terrain.
Sylvan Hill/American Legion Trail - a popular in-town location serviced by the American Legion Clubhouse and the Sylvan Hill Chalet.
Big Eau Pleine Park Trail - intermediate skiers enjoy the remote, scenic trail along the Eau Pleine Reservoir featuring rolling and wooded terrain.
The Greenwood Hills Trail - situated on a golf course, it provides challenging climbs and exhilarating hills.
Click here for more information.
Marathon County Map
Nine Mile Trail Map
Nine Mile Area Map